June 26, 2008

June 25, 2008
Steve [Goodkind, DPW], I would like to take this appeal to the Public Works Commission immediately. A fire hazard is nothing to delay any further. I've been 2 years patient, two years understanding, two years waiting. If the city can't remedy the situation, let it be known. Lea

June 25, 2008
Steve [Goodkind, DPW], I wish to appeal the completeness and the veracity of information contained in a Vacant Building Permit Application (I have not received a copy of the permit yet, and the application has no #), and the granting of a fee waiver if it was granted. I regret that I do not have more information, but that is part of the problem. I have requested a copy of the permit, but have not received it. The wording of 8-8 is unclear, and would appreciate more information regarding the appeal protocol/process. Lea

June 25, 08
Lea,
The Vacant Building Ordinance is part of the building code ordinances of the City and appeals of an action taken by the enforcement agency are heard by the Public Works Commission pursuant to section 8-8 of the Code of Ordinances. That section requires the request for appeal to be filed with the director of public works. Please refer to that ordinance for details on the appeal or contact PW Director Goodkind for more information. As you know, the ordinances are accessible on-line through the City's website. Gene Bergman

June 25, 08
Gene,
I would like to have a hearing/s about the way complaints have been handled re: 2 Appletree Point Lane, aka 0 Appletree Point Lane. If this is how the city operates regarding Code Enforcement, both municipal code and building code, we need to know that now -- not later when we are called to comment on a development permit that has a lot of conditions on it. It is said in the city that Code Enforcement is lax, complaint driven, and worse. So far, that has been my experience and I'm concerned about it.

I originally filed complaints on June 15, 2006. They were in regard to (1) an abandoned swimming pool, and (2) neglect of a vacant property.

My requests were reasonable: (1) drain the pool and remove the partially submerged plastic, and (2) mow the lawn around the house and remove fallen tree limbs.

Neither issue has been resolved satisfactorily and the situation worsens. (1) the pool constantly has stagnant water accumulating in it, and the plastic has not been removed; (2) high grass and debris fills the yard around the house, doors are left open, driveway is not plowed in winter, access for fire emergency vehicles and firefighters could be hazardous, and our house is endangered because of proximity and the many large trees that adjoin our properties.

In an email dated June 13, 2008, to the Chairman of the Board of Health, regarding the abandoned swimming pool, CE says the property owner has a vacant building permit. I asked for a copy of the application and the permit. The building and property has been vacant since the present owner purchased it in Dec '06. A copy of the application (stamped received May 27, 2008) was mailed to me on June 16, 2008, but I have not received a copy of the permit. There is no reference number on the application, no indication that any of the information was confirmed or challenged, and no indication that a permit was granted.

Does the property owner have a vacant building permit, or not? Information in the application is not correct and it does not meet the requirement for a fee waiver. Perhaps there is a permit, and the CE Office just neglected to send it to me in the information packet. I called today to inquire about it, but my call was not returned.

I want to appeal inaction (regarding the fire hazard presented by the neglected property debris) to the Public Works Commission; and inaction (regarding the abandoned swimming pool) to the Board of Health. I do not feel that the complaints are being handled competently. I've been yelled at (totally unacceptable), told the present owner is much better than the previous owner (THAT IS NOT TRUE, and what does that have to do with anything?), and that there are no codes or ordinances that address my concerns (also not true).

I am copying this to the Public Works Commission and to the Board of Health.

Lea